5 EASY WAYS TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR EYES FROM SUN
You could be on the beach in Summers or you could be on the slopes in winter, please remember that the UV rays can seriously cause adverse effects to your eyes. Just as we take steps to safeguard our skin from sunburns.
we are also duty bound to take equal care of our eyes and take protective steps as we indulge in outside activities and expose our eyes to sun rays.
1. Understanding of the process of ultraviolet radiation (UVR). This covers three ranges that can be classified as UV-C, UV-B and UV-A. and in this regard the emphasis is to understand that eye damage results from UV-B rays. Research has shown that these rays cause and contribute to cataract development and eye cancer.
2. Start early. It is estimated thru research that 80 percent of our lifetime exposure to UVR rays happens before touching 18 years of age. In addition to this the eyes of children transmit more UVA rays to the retina than adults’, resulting in more exposure and possibility of eye damage.
3. Make use of sunglasses. In this regard there is a need to find sunglasses that do not transmit more than one percent UVB and one percent UVA. The glasses should be dark. They should also be framed in a way that they fully cover the eye and thus prevent sunlight from finding a passage through the sides of the glasses.
4. Add to the protection by using contact lenses. In case you are a contacts user, the necessary protection could already be in place. As for the contact lenses, they do provide UV ray protection. However, it may be remembered that though the protection levels may vary, it is the Class one UV-blockers that are more protective.
5. Head gear like hats is important. Do wear hats, in particular those that are wide. These help in providing shade to your eyes and the rays are no longer direct.