Afridi won't not be the best al-rounder cricket has ever seen however he is the most dreaded as a result of his erratic batting. Afridi's vocation won't not be as stunning and productive as Kallis' and Akram's seemed to be, however certainly the more amusing than the other two. He reported his landing with an explosion of keeps scoring so as to run against then World Champion Sri Lanka 100 keeps running in 37 balls, that was the quickest ODI 100 in Cricket by then, and the record was held by him for a long time. We are going to take a look over Afridi's vocation through the numbers:
Afridi had a superior batting normal in the longest type of the diversion yet the example size is too little to call him any extraordinary. His playing normal is fundamentally higher than other all-rounders. In any case, when you take a gander at his 8000+ keeps running in ODI and aggregate of 11171 International races to run with 540 global wickets, the figure is not that awful. Any group will take these details for just about 20 years in length administration at the worldwide enclosure.
Afridi's commitment towards Pakistan's cricket is remarkable and the adoration/abhor association with fans was clear on account of the enthusiasm conveyed for Cricket by Pakistani Fans. He is the main cricketer who was acknowledged by masses furthermore disdained in the meantime. He contributed towards a few triumphs and he was likewise reprimanded for every one of the misfortunes Pakistan has consumed amid his playing profession. On most events it felt like that Afridi was the one and only playing against the restricting 11 and his fans felt the same way when he won for Pakistan as he was the one and only remaining before the other 11. In spite of the fact that Afridi's support mirrors that when Afridi has sparkled, Pakistan has won matches and when Afridi had a less than impressive day, Pakistan lost the cause on the field. His Batting and knocking down some pins midpoints are obviously better when the outcome was agreeable to Pakistan.
When Afridi played, Pakistan has won 54% of the time. Pakistan always had better odds with Afridi in the side. Below is the breakdown of all formats when Afridi participated.
If we are looking for a index to measure the significance of a player’s contribution towards results, we should always look at the loss column first and when Afridi was participating within team, Pakistan has lost less games on average if compared to the likes of Brian Lara, Chanderpaul and Chris Gayle for West Indies, Rahul Dravid for India and Aravinda Silva for Sri Lanka. No other Pakistani Player has impacted the match results more adversely than Shahid Afridi but it is almost as much as Sachin did to India and Sangakara/Jayawardene duo did to Sri Lanka. Again they all were greats for their countries and Shahid Afridi is not.
With almost 300 SR in his first inning, he always maintained a high Strike Rate in ODIs and T20Is. He maintained the strike rate of 100+ throughout his entire ODI career and he retired from ODI with the SR of 117. His 351 6s in ODI are the highest number of 6s hit by any player in ODI. He is among the Top 10 in SRs for ODIs and T20Is.
Getting honored as Man of the Match has its own criticalness in Cricket. An individual is granted due to the effect he made in a specific match. It is generally by all account not the only measuring stick to gauge to decide the enormity yet positively a noteworthy one. Afridi has gotten 33 Man of the Match Awards in ODI and 11 in T20 Internationals. He is among the main 3 ever in both classes. The recurrence of getting these honors is still not in the same class as alternate greats of the amusement yet it is altogether superior to anything numerous more who have played 300 or more ODIs and 40 or more T20Is. He just secured one Man of the Match recompense when Pakistan was a losing group of the match.
Afridi was honored 44 man of the match grants so far and just 4 times it was on Pakistan's dirt, which is under 10%. The majority of his 7 Man of the Series Awards were earned when playing far from home. He is one player who sparkled the most when he was playing far from home.
Afridi is also criticized because of him scoring a duck in an ODI. According to the numbers, he maintained a better average than few other All Rounders of his era like Wasim Akram, Shaun Pollock, Chris Gayle and he came very close to match few famous specialist batsmen like: Gibbs, Younis Khan and Brandon McCullum.
T20 always favored Afridi’s batting style and T20I World Cup 2009 is when he performed to his optimal ability. He helped win the Semi Final and the Final against South Africa and Sri Lanka and awarded Man of the Match.
Records are to be broken and Afridi smashed several of them. Someone of them are snatched away from him and he still holds a few:
- Only player to hit more than 400 Sixes in International Cricket
- Only Pakistani and 2nd overall with 10000 runs and 500+ wickets in International Cricket
- 7th Youngest Player to score a Test Century (18 years)
- 2nd Fastest Test Fifty (26 Balls)
- 2nd most runs off 1 over (27)
- Most 6s off consecutive deliveries (4 of Harbhajan Singh)
- Fastest Century in ODI (37 Balls, now it is 3rd Fastest)
- Youngest Player to score an ODI Century (16 Years and 217 Days)
- 2nd Fastest Fifty (18 Balls, 4 Times)
- Best Balls/6 ratio in ODI Cricket (19.79)
- Longest Six in History (158 Meters)
- 5th overall with Most MOM Awards
- 2nd Highest Strike Rate (116.86)
- 1st Highest Strike Rate for Players more than 5000 Runs (116.86)
- 6th Highest Wicket Taker (395 Wickets)
- Most Wickets in 1 World Cup as Captain (22 Wickets in 2011)
- 2nd Best bowling Figures (7 Wickets for 12 Runs)
- 1st Player to take 350 Wickets and 8000 runs
- Only player to take 5 Wickets and Score a Fifty 3 Times
- 5th Overall in Most Matches in Career
- 2nd Most Ducks in ODI (30, After Jayasuria(34))
- 1st in Total # of Wickets (97)
- Only player with more than 1000 Runs and 50 Wickets
Addition of few more facts (As of Today):
- Last time Pakistan won an International ODI Tournament – Asia Cup 2010 – Man of the Match, Shahid Afridi
- Last time Pakistan won against India – Asia Cup 2014 – Man of the Match, Shahid Afridi
- Last time Pakistan won a World T2I Tournament – T20I WC 2009 – Man of the Match, Shahid Afridi
- Last time Pakistan won a T20 Match (As of Today) – Against Bangladesh WC T20I 2016 – Man of the Match, Shahid Afridi
- Last Time and the only time when a Pakistani won Man of the Series Award with 3 or more teams participating – World Cup T20I 2007 – Shahid Afridi
Cricket has never seen and never will see another Cricketer like him. Love him or hate him but he is one of the best in last 20 years. He can produce a batting score-line like 0610400600661166264400661411041606024100 and he can deliver a transcendent bowling figures of 9-3-12-7. He can stun India with 2 sixes in the last over with 9 wickets down and he can win you a World Cup Semi Final and Final in T20I. You can keep him out but his returns are usually bombastic. He came back after being sidelined from the test side with a century, with a 5 wicket haul, an 80 runs inning against India, a quick 54 runs inning and 5 wickets in a test against India in India and many more tales to share. You might be playing your last International game tomorrow but you will be remembered and Shahid Afridi, you will be missed!