3 Fresh Ways to Style a Messy Ponytail
One of the easiest hairstyles to do yourself is a messy ponytail. Here are a few variations to change it up or to put to use when your hair is not cooperating (we’ve all been there!).
- Elastic hairbands
- Tease brush
- Bobby pins
- Curling iron (optional)
Base steps for all three hairstyles:
1. If you want to add some curl and volume to your pony, use a barrel roll curling iron to achieve the desired effect. Wrap strands around the curling iron, starting at the middle of your hair all the way down to the ends. (You can also stick with sleek and straight, if you prefer.)
2. Use a teasing brush to add volume by brushing downwards towards the roots from different sections of your hair.
3. Spray with hairspray for added texture and hold. This will make creating these messy ponytails a bit easier.
Braided Messy Pony
1. Separate a side section of your hair and French braid until you reach the back of your head.
2. Finish the rest in a normal braid. Secure with a clear elastic or leave as is.
3. Pull your hair into a ponytail, and tease and hairspray as needed.
Double Twist Pony
1. Add some volume to the top section of your hair using a tease brush. Take one piece of hair from each side of your head and cross them over each other.
2. Secure with bobby pins.
3. Gather two more sections from either side of your head and cross them over each other.
4. Secure with bobby pins. You can repeat a third time if you choose!
5. Add your ponytail holder and pull tight.
Double Up Ponytail
1. Gather the top section of your hair at the middle and secure with an elastic hairband. Divide the hair above the hairband to make an opening and loosen with your fingers.
2. Gather the rest of your hair into a ponytail and secure with a hairband.
3. Pull the bottom ponytail through the hole of the top one and spread out the hair.
4. Tighten and pull. You now have a pony with added height and volume without having to use a clip!