Actor Uzma Khan on Tuesday withdrew the case against three women and their armed guards. Whom she had accused last week of torturing her and her sister. After angrily storming a house where she was staying in Lahore’s DHA neighbourhood.
A former member of Uzma’s legal team claimed that the two sides had reportedly reached a settlement. Which led to the withdrawal of charges, but no official confirmed this on record.
Video clips showing violence carried out on the actor and her sister Huma Khan. Allegedly by the daughters of property tycoon Malik Riaz Hussain, had sparked outrage and calls for justice on social media earlier this week.
A first information report (FIR) of the incident was registered on Wednesday (March 27) on Uzma’s complaint against Riaz’s daughters. Pashmina Malik and Ambar Malik, Amina Usman Malik (wife of Usman Malik), and 15 unidentified armed men. The private guards with whom the three women had entered the house seen in video clips.
Uzma had later denied having cut a deal with the persons involved in the violence.
“These are just rumours and I reject them making it clear that no such effort is being made. She had told Dawn on Friday, adding that neither the suspects had contacted her for any deal nor would she accept it.
But on Tuesday, Uzma submitted an application to Defence C Police, saying the case she had gotten registered last week was lodged “on the basis of a misunderstanding” and that she no longer wants to pursue it.
She said no challan had so far been submitted in the case. “I don’t want to give any testimony or deposition in the above-stated case,” Uzma added.
She recorded a similar statement before Judicial Magistrate Nauman Nasir of Lahore Cantt Courts under Section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC). Saying she wants to withdraw the case.
Her sister, Huma, in her separate statement recorded under Section 164 of CrPC said. “No such occurrence” — a reference to the violence — had taken place at their house.
“[The] accused party has not made any torture upon me,” she submitted, adding that the injuries she was seen to have sustained in social media videos were caused by broken “glass from [a] table”.
She further said the suspects nominated in the FIR are “innocent”.
“My sister namely Uzma Khan got registered the instant FIR due to misunderstanding. Therefore, the same may very kindly be cancelled,” Huma added.
A judicial magistrate in Lahore had last week issued arrest warrants for the three women. They nominated in the FIR on the request of the investigating officer. However, they obtained pre-arrest bail from a sessions court on Monday.